Peercoin is a cryptocurrency derived from Bitcoin. It is an open source and peer-to-peer digital currency. It implements the Proof of Stake (PoS) consensus as its security model and part of its minting process along with the Proof of Work (PoW) consensus.
Sunny King and Scott Nadal first introduced Peercoin in August 2012. Zachary Burt founded Peercoin in July 2013.
PPCoin: Peer-to-Peer Crypto-Currency with Proof-of-Stake
Sunny King and Scott Nadal
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
What is Peercoin?
19 July 2014
- Cluster: Blockchain & cryptocurrencyA cluster of topics related to blockchain and cryptocurrency.
- BlockchainA blockchain is an append-only digital ledger storing a set of time-ordered transactions grouped in blocks that are linked together using cryptographic hashes.
- CryptocurrencyA cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange using cryptography to secure the transactions and to control the creation of additional units of the currency. Cryptocurrencies are a subset of alternative currencies, or specifically of digital currencies.
- BitcoinBitcoin is a cryptocurrency and a digital payment system invented by an unknown programmer, or a group of programmers, under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. It was released as open-source software in 2009.
- Proof-of-stakeProof-of-stake (PoS) is a system by which a network (e.g., a cryptocurrency blockchain) aims to achieve distributed consensus.
- NovacoinNovacoin is open source cryptocurrency platform that makes use of PoW and PoS for block generation.