Obsidian Therapeutics is a privately held, biotechnology company based in Cambridge, Massachusetts and was founded in 2015 by Michael Gilman, Steve and Shamah, Tariq Kassum. The company focuses on developing novel cell and gene therapies with pharmacologic operating systems.
The company is developing a suite of technologies that would allow for control of protein activity in cells, which should enable tunable cell and gene therapies. Obsidian uses Destabilizing Domains (DDs) to enable pharmacologic regulation of the expression of transduced gene. These DDs are then used to create cell therapies with regulated cell-surface rececptors, secreted cytokines, cytoplasmic, and nuclear proteins.
The two-part therapeutic system is designed with a synthetic biological cassette in the cell therapy and the small molecule drug that controls the cassette's activity. Obsidian's current area of focus for these therapies are in CAR-T and CAR therapies. In November 2018, Obsidian presented preclinical data demonstrating the precise regulation of cytokines and CAR in T cells with its technology using FDA approved drugs.
VP, Cell Therapy
Senior Advisor, Research
Senior VP & Head of Research
COO & Head of Corporate Development
Celgene teams up with Obsidian Therapeutics in cell therapies
Obsidian Therapeutics Announces $49.5 Million Series A Financing to Develop Controllable Cell and Gene Therapy Products
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: BiotechnologyA cluster of topics related to biotechnology.
- Cluster: Stem cell technologyTechnology used for isolating, generating, growing and controlling the differentiation of stem cells into specialized cells and the application of stem cell technology for medical and non-medical purposes such as producing meat through cellular agriculture.
- BiotechnologyBiolotechnology can refer to the application of science and technology to living organisms or the use of living organisms, their parts, products or models thereof to solve a problem, produce knowledge or produce goods and services. Biotechnology may involve the alteration of living or non-living materials.
- ImmunotherapyImmunotherapy aims to treat disease through activation or suppression of an immune response. For example activating immunotherapies can target cancer and suppressive immunotherapies can target autoimmunity.
- Stem cellStem cells are self-renewing cells that have the potential to become multiple different cell types in the body. Stem cells are found in developing embryos. Adult stem cells maintain and repair tissues throughout life. Induced pluripotent stem cells are a type of stem cell derived from adult cells that are reprogrammed in the lab.