Italian bioengineer Giuseppe Scionti is the founder of NovaMeat. NovaMeat uses a mix of rice and pea proteins and a 3D printer to produce plant-based meat. The printer uses syringes of plant protein pastes to create the steak and chicken simulacrums. The company was the first company in the world to create a 3D printed meat-free steak using vegetable proteins (from rice, peas, and seaweed) to mimic the texture of beef steaks.
On September 5, 2019 NovaMeat completed a venture funding round with an undisclosed amount of funding from New Crop Capital. The company plans on using the funding to develop their 3D meat printing technology for the printing of alternative meat products using seaweed such as steaks, chicken breasts, and fibrous textured meat replacements.
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- Plant-based meatPlant-based meat products are made to mimic properties found within natural meats and are considered to be meat substitutes. They are made using plant and other non-animal products to look, taste, and feel like meat products. Examples include: seitan, falafel, tempeh, Tofurky, Beyond Meat burgers, and Mock duck.
- Nu Food
- Impossible FoodsImpossible Foods is a plant-based meat company making meat and dairy products that are made to look and feel like animal products by manufacturing heme, the oxygen binding molecule found in blood, using engineered yeast grown in bioreactors.
- Beyond MeatBeyond Meat makes plant-based meat alternatives such as burgers, sausages, chicken strips, and ground beef. Beyond Meat was founded in 2009 by Ethan Brown and is based in Los Angeles, California.