Morningstar Farms was originally a line of plant-based meat products offered by Worthington Foods, and is now a subsidiary of Kellogg. In 1970, Miles acquired Worthington Foods, and as a result, acquired Morningstar Farms. In 1977, Bayer purchased Miles and gained control over product lines being offered by Morningstar farms. On October 2, 1999, Kellogg purchased Worthington Foods Inc., for $307 million. At the time of purchase, Kellogg claimed that Worthington Foods controlled over 50% of the market for meat alternatives in the United States.
The soy-based meat alternatives offered by Morningstar Farms were some of the first meat alternatives made with soy that were offered nationwide in the United States. Morningstar Farms first product line of soy-based meat alternatives went on sale in stores across the United States in 1975.
Three breakfast soy-based meat alternatives were introduced to stores across the United States a year earlier in 1974, these products were: Breakfast links, Breakfast Patties, and Breakfast Slices. Despite over 10 million Americans buying products in Morningstar Farms breakfast line, the company reported $33 million in pretax losses 18 months after product launch.
Morningstar Farms Responds to Pleas for Egg-Free Foods
United Poultry Concerns
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Kellogg'sKellogg's or Kellogg Company is an American food-manufacturing company. It manufactures cereals, cookie and crackers.
- VegetarianismPractice of abstaining from the consumption of the flesh of any animal, eggs and dairy.
- BocaBoca Foods is a company developing and marketing meatless burger patties, chicken nuggets, veggie patties, ground crumbles and other breakfast products. It is a Kraft Heinz Company subsidiary founded in Chicago, Illinois in 1993, and is now headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Field Roast FoodsField Roast Foods is a vegan food company making artisan vegan grain meat and cheese products. The company is located in Seattle, Washington and was founded in 1997 by David Lee and Richard Lee.
- QuornQuorn is an alternative meat brand owned by Monde Nissin. It offers a wide range of meatless, gluten-free and vegan products such as chicken nuggets, sausages, patties, turkey, steaks and more.