Memphis Meats is a food technology company producing clean meat or cell-cultured meat. The company produces meat without raising and slaughtering animals. They use cells acquired from animals and cultures them to produce beef, chicken and duck meat. In February 2016, the company introduced the cultured meatball and in March 2017 poultry.
Memphis Meats has stated aims to reduce the meat production environmental impact and improve animal welfare. The meat production cost has the potential to be lower compared to the traditional process of feeding, breeding, raising and slaughtering animals. Cultured meat has the potential to require less land, water and energy. The laboratory-grown meats also have potential to reduce issues such as infections and viruses with the livestock that can be encountered with traditional meat production.
Uma Valeti, Nicholas Genovese and Will Clem founded Memphis Meats in 2015 in San Francisco, California. The company's investors include SOSV, Cargill, Atomico. New Crop Capital, Fifty Years, KBW Ventures, DFJ Venture Capital, and Inevitable Ventures as well as investors Suzy and Jack Welch, Kyle Vogt, Bill Gates, Richard Branson and Kimbal Musk.
Method for scalable skeletal muscle lineage specification and cultivation
Methods for extending the replicative capacity of somatic cells during an ex vivo cultivation process
Series A II Round Funding
Total Raised: $22,000,000
Lead Investors: Tyson Ventures, DFJ Venture Capital
Investors: Atomico, Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Cargill, New Crop Capital, SOSV, Fifty Years, KBW Ventures, Inevitable Ventures, Suzy and Jack Welch, Kyle Vogt, Kimbal Musk, SOSV, Crowdfunding via Indiegogo
Post-Money Valuation: $60,000,000
Christina Troitino, Forbes
Memphis Meats' Lab-Grown Meat Raises $17M With Help From Bill Gates And Richard Branson
Emma Cosgrove, AgFunderNews
Memphis Meats Adds Tyson to Investor List With Cargill, Gates, Branson, Musk, more
Press Release MEMPHIS MEATS GAINS SUPPORT FROM UNPRECEDENTED COALITION
Press Release TYSON FOODS INVESTS IN MEMPHIS MEATS, JOINS UNPRECEDENTED COALITION OF INVESTORS BACKING CLEAN MEAT START-UP
Tanya Flink, LiveKindly
Clean Duck and Chicken Meat to Hit Stores by 2021
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
The Future of Meat by Co-Founder of Memphis Meats
9 December 2016
- Cluster: Synthetic biologyA cluster of topics related to synthetic biology.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Cluster: Plant-based and clean meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, clean meat and cellular agriculture.
- Impossible FoodsImpossible Foods is a plant-based meat company making meat and dairy products that are made to look and feel like animal products by manufacturing heme, the oxygen binding molecule found in blood, using engineered yeast grown in bioreactors.
- Mosa MeatMosa Meat is a Dutch start-up company that makes and commercializes clean meat, meat made by growing animal cells in a laboratory rather than animal slaughter.
- SuperMeatSuperMeat is an Israeli biotechnology company, founded on December 15, 2015. SuperMeat is working to develop chicken meat products cultured from extracted chicken cells.