Mammoth Biosciences is an American company based in San Francisco founded on June 1, 2017. Mammoth Biosciences uses CRISPR technology to develop bio-sensing technologies for diagnostics in industries such as healthcare, agriculture, manufacturing, and forensics. Their CRISPR platform utilizes two CRISPR proteins: Cas12 and Cas13. The technology being used by Mammoth Bioscience theoretically allows for the detection of any biomarker and/or disease that contains either RNA and/or DNA.
Products and services
Point of care strip
Mammoth biosciences uses technology licensed from UC Berkley and has created a credit card strip capable of delivering health diagnostics at the point of care in hospital and home settings. Their diagnostic strip works by dropping the desired fluid sample onto the strip and waiting for panels on the strip to change colour indicating the test is complete. The CRISPR technology is embedded within the strip, and if or when the desired reaction takes place a coloured molecule is released called a reporter molecule. Different reporter molecules can be present and eventually build up into colours that can be seen with the naked eye. The user then takes a photo of the strip after the reaction is complete (approximately taking 30 minutes) using a smart phone application developed my Mammoth Biosciences. Users can see the results of their strip test using the app.
Mammoth Biosciences has received a disclosed amount of $23m in venture capital funding from Mayfield, NFX, 8VC, AME Cloud, Wireframe, Kairos, and Boom Capital.
Co-founder, Chief research officer
Co-founder, Chair of scientific advisory board
Co-founder, Chief discovery officer
After gene-editing, Crispr’s new frontier to detect diseases is closer to becoming a reality
At-home CRISPR kit will diagnose you better than WebMD
Jennifer Doudna's latest CRISPR company debuts
New startup promises ‘world’s first’ CRISPR-powered disease detection
Xconomy: Home Tests in Mind, Doudna Startup Races Rivals in CRISPR Diagnostics
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
Mammoth Biosciences launches a CRISPR-powered search engine for disease detection
April 26, 2018
The Mammoth CRISPR Platform
April 26, 2018
- Cluster: Synthetic biologyA cluster of topics related to synthetic biology.
- StartupA startup company is an entrepreneurial venture in the initial stage of its operations. Startups are typically young businesses aiming to grow quickly and meet a marketplace need by developing or offering an innovative product, process or service.
- CRISPRClustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR) is a prokaryotic adaptive immune response that provides immunity against foreign nucleic acids, such as viral DNA and bacterial plasmids, through the use of crRNAs (CRISPR RNAs) and associated Cas genes.
- Cluster: BiotechnologyA cluster of topics related to biotechnology.
- Gene editing
- BioinformaticsInterdisciplinary field that applies computational techniques to solve biological problems on the molecular level.
- BiotechnologyBiolotechnology can refer to the application of science and technology to living organisms or the use of living organisms, their parts, products or models thereof to solve a problem, produce knowledge or produce goods and services. Biotechnology may involve the alteration of living or non-living materials.