Briefcase Biotec was founded in Graz, Austria in 2014 by a team of biohackers - professionals in biology (molecular), computer science, and electrical engineering. Their product, KiloBaser, enables scientists to produce the DNA they need on their desktops, thus speeding up production of genetic engineering and synthetic biology research and development.
Federal Science Funding Agency
Kilobaser gets accepted by the federal science funding agency 'FFG', receiving roughly € 1M of funding during the next 3 years.
Seed round by SOSV
Kilobaser receives a seed funding round of $ 500.000 from SOSV.
Kilobaser is amongst the 50 chosen best start-ups and pitches at Pioneers festival in Vienna, Austria.
Kilobaser joins Rebel Bio
Kilobaser joins Rebel Bio's incubator program.
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: Synthetic biologyA cluster of topics related to synthetic biology.
- StartupA startup company is an entrepreneurial venture in the initial stage of its operations. Startups are typically young businesses aiming to grow quickly and meet a marketplace need by developing or offering an innovative product, process or service.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- BiotechnologyBiotechnology can refer to the application of science and technology to living organisms or the use of living organisms, their parts, products or models thereof to solve a problem, produce knowledge or produce goods and services. Biotechnology may involve the alteration of living or non-living materials.
- RebelBioRebelBio is a startup accelerator backed by SOSV supporting companies creating products and services based on life science technologies.
- SOSVSOSV (formerly SOS Ventures) is a venture capital firm founded in 1995 by Sean O'Sullivan that provides growth, seed, and venture capital funding to startups. SOSV runs six seed accelerator programs: HAX Accelerator, Chinaccelerator, MOX, IndieBio, RebelBio, and Food-X.
- DNA synthesisThe process of linking together nucleotide bases adenine (A), thymine (T), cytosine (C) and guanine (G) to form a DNA molecule. DNA synthesis occurs in the cell during DNA replication. Synthetic DNA synthesis, also called gene synthesis, is the chemical synthesis of single stranded DNA oligonucleotides which are assembled into DNA.