The company was founded in 1838 by Moscow merchants Lepeshkin on the bank of the river Uvodi on the outskirts of the village of Ivanovo.
The chemical establishment "Trading House Lepeshkin and Sons" was a kind of satellite of local textile enterprises, fulfilled the orders of manufacturers. The first production of the "Lepeshkin workshops", as the enterprise was then called, was intended to meet the needs of textile factories in the Kostroma, Vladimir, Yaroslavl and Moscow provinces. In 1850, 84 people worked at the factory. Already in 1873, the products were presented at the World Exhibition in Vienna. And in 1882, the plant received the highest award — the right to use the State Emblem on the trademark of its products.
During the First World War, the plant, in addition to its main products, produced chemical warfare agents for the needs of the front.