Nuclear Technology utilizes the energy and radiation produced by nuclear reactions for applications in many fields including power, medicine, and defense.
A list of fundamental science topics related to nuclear technology.
- Segré chart
- Radioisotope Production
A list of nuclear technology applications and topics related to them.
Producing controlled chain reactions of nuclear interactions to generate electricity in a nuclear power plant.
- Advanced Fission Reactor Designs
- Nuclear Waste Processing
The use of radiation produced by nuclear decay for medical diagnosis and treatment.
- External Beam Radiation Therapy
- Heavy Ion Therapy
- Unsealed Source Radiotherapy
- Gamma Irradiation Sterilization
Using nuclear reactions to create weaponry or the propulsion of military vehicles.
- Atomic Bomb
- Nuclear-Powered Aircraft Carriers
Propulsion and power supply for space missions.
Nuclear technology is used in a range of industrial processes.
- Level Indicator Gauges
- Thickness Gauges
- Radioactive Tracers
- Nuclear Well-Logging
Commercial products that use nuclear technology.
- Smoke Detectors
Agriculture & Food
- Plant Mutation Breeding
- Insect Control
List of companies offering services or products in nuclear technology
Nuclear Reactor Engineering
- Energy Resources of Australia
- United Uranium
Nuclear Fuel / Waste / Decommissioning
- Rolls Royce
Research Projects & Groups
List of Nuclear Technology research projects and groups.
Fields such as fusion energy require large scale research projects too big for a single company involving significant public funding.
- MAST Upgrade - Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
- Axially Symmetric Divertor Experiment (ASDEX) - Max Planck Institute of Plasma Physics
- ASDEX Upgrade - Max Planck Institute of Plasma Physics
- Alcator - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- China Fusion Engineering Test Reactor (CFETR) - Hefei Institutes of Physical Science of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- COMPASS (COMPact ASSembly) Tokamak - Institute of Plasma Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences
- Caltech Spheromak Experiment - California Institute of Technology
- EAST - Hefei Institutes of Physical Science of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- ETE (Experimento Tokamak Esférico) - Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais
- FTU (Frascati Tokamak Upgrade) - ENEA (Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy, and Sustainable Economic Development)
- FuZE (Fusion Z-Pinch Experiment) - University of Washington
- GDT Device - Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
- GEKKO XII - Osaka University, Institute of Laser Engineering
- HFRC (HUST FRC) - Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- HIAF (High Intensity heavy ion Accelerator Facility) - Institute of Modern Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- HIST (Helicity Injected Spherical Torus) - University of Hyogo
- HIT - University of Washington
- HL-2A / HL-2M - SWIP (Southwestern Institute of Physics)
- He Ion Source & DiFU Dual-Beam Facility - Ruđer Bošković Institute
- ISTTOK (Instituto Superior Técnico TOKamak) - Instituto Superior Técnico
- J-TEXT - Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- JT-60U - JAEA (Japan Atomic Energy Agency's) Naka Fusion Institute
- Julong-1 Facility (aka PTS) - IFP (Intstitue of Fluid Physics)
- KMAX (Keda Mirror with AXisymmetricity) - USTC (University of Science and Technology China)
- KSTAR (Korea Superconducting Tokamak Advanced Research) - National Fusion Research Institute
- KTX (Keda Torus eXperiment) - USTC (University of Science and Technology China)
- LDX (Levitated Dipole Experiment) - MIT
- LULI (Le Laboratoire pour l'utilisation des lasers intenses) - Ecole Polytechnique
- MAGPIE - Imperial College London
- MST (Madison Symmetric Torus) - University of Wisconsin Madison
- Magnum-PSI - Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research
- Spherical Tokamak for Energy Production (STEP)
- Los Alamos National Laboratory - Fusion Energy Sciences
- University of Washington’s William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville - Propulsion Research Center
- University of Texas at Austin - Institute for Fusion Studies
Nuclear Medicine & Radiology
- UCL - Institute of Nuclear Medicine
- The Institute of Cancer Research
- National Physical Laboratory (NPL) - Medical Physics
- University of Toronto - Department of Medical Imaging
- Stanford - Nuclear Medicine Research Lab (NMRL)
- John Hopkins Medicine - Radiology and Radiological Science
- University of California, San Francisco - Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging
- University of Virginia - Radiology and Medical Imaging
- Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Amsterdam Universitair Medische Centra (UMC)
Other Nuclear Technology Related Groups & Organisations
- American Fusion Project
List of topics linked to nuclear technology.
List of people who made significant contributions to nuclear technology or nuclear physics.
Nuclear Power Today | Nuclear Energy - World Nuclear Association
Updated February 2020
The History of Nuclear Energy
U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy
The Number of Fusion Energy Startups is Growing Fast - Here's Why
February 7th, 2020
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
Is Nuclear Fusion The Answer To Clean Energy?
Oct 29, 2019
Mini-Nuclear Reactors Are Coming, and They Could Reinvent the Energy Industry
Jul 21, 2019
NASA's New Space Reactor Is Powered by Nuclear Fission
Jun 30, 2019
Thorium and the Future of Nuclear Energy
Jul 1, 2019