Circle is a cryptocurrency and fintech company developing digital currency products. They offer two mobile applications, available for IOS and Andriod, for making cryptocurrency investments (Circle Invest) and transferring money (Circle pay). The company is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts and was founded by Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville in October, 2013.
On March 26, 2014 Circle closed their series B funding round with $17 million in funding from Pantera Capital, Oak Investment Partners, General Catalyst Partners, Fenway Summer Ventures, Michele Burns, and Leonard Schrank.
On May 13, 2016 Circle closed their series D funding round with $60 million in funding from IDG Capital, Breyer Capital, General Catalyst Partners, Baidu, CICC Alpha, China EverBright Investments, Fenbushi Capital, CreditEase, Glenn Hutchins, and Sam Palmisano.
On May 15, 2018 Circle closed their series E funding round with $110 million in funding which was lead by Bitmain; and Tusk Ventures, Pantera Capital, IDG Capital, General Catalyst Partners, Digital Currency Group, and Breyer Capital also participated in the funding round. The round came with news of a new partnership with Circle and Bitmain, a cryptocurrency mining company based in China, that will focus on launching a tokenized US dollar called the USDC or USD Coin.
Circle raises a $110,000,000 series E round from Pantera Capital, IDG Capital Partners, Bitmain, Tusk Ventures, Blockchain Capital, General Catalyst, Accel, Digital Currency Group and Breyer Capital.
Circle raises a $17,000,000 series B round from Accel Partners, Pantera Capital, General Catalyst, Oak Investment Partners, Digital Currency Group and Breyer Capital.
Circle raises a $9,000,000 series A round from Accel Partners and Jim Breyer.
Andres Max Salmeron
David B. Kinitsky
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cluster: Blockchain & cryptocurrencyA cluster of topics related to blockchain and cryptocurrency.
- Cryptocurrency exchangeCryptocurrency exchanges are exchange markets for trading cryptocurrencies.
- Unicorn (finance)A privately held startup company with an evaluation above $1 billion.
- Y CombinatorY Combinator (also known as YC) is a US based seed accelerator, which was started in March 2005.
- Basic Attention TokenBasic Attention Token (BAT) claims to improve the efficiency of digital advertising by creating a new unit of exchange between publishers, advertisers and users.
- CryptocurrencyA cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange using cryptography to secure the transactions and to control the creation of additional units of the currency. Cryptocurrencies are a subset of alternative currencies, or specifically of digital currencies.
- BlockchainA blockchain is an append-only digital ledger storing a set of time-ordered transactions grouped in blocks that are linked together using cryptographic hashes.