Calico (California Life Company) is a biotechnology company owned by Alphabet researching and developing therapies to increase human lifespan that is headquartered in South San Francisco, California and was founded in 2013 by Arthur Levinson. During the companies launch announcement the CEO of Google at the time, Larry Page, made the following statement about Calico's founder Arthur Levinson:
Illness and aging affect all our families. With some longer term, moonshot thinking around healthcare and biotechnology, I believe we can improve millions of lives. It’s impossible to imagine anyone better than Art—one of the leading scientists, entrepreneurs and CEOs of our generation—to take this new venture forward.
University of Pennsylvania
On November 28, 2019 Calico announced it will be collaborating with the University of Pennsylvania's Translational Medicine and Therapeutics. Dr. Garret FitzGerald will lead the collaboration project which is to monitor the progress of the clinical trials of Calico's drug candidates, and to identify collaboration opportunities for scientists at the University of Pennsylvania to work with Calico on creating therapies for anti-ageing and age-related diseases.
The following list contains the peer-reviewed research papers published by scientists working with Calico:
- A new experimental platform facilitates assessment of the transcriptional and chromatin landscapes of aging yeast
- Estimates of the Heritability of Human Longevity Are Substantially Inflated due to Assortative Mating
- A window into extreme longevity; the circulating metabolomic signature of the naked mole-rat, a mammal that shows negligible senescence
- The small molecule ISRIB rescues the stability and activity of Vanishing White Matter Disease eIF2B mutant complexes
- The naked mole-rat exhibits an unusual cardiac myofilament protein profile providing new insights into heart function of this naturally subterranean rodent
- The protein kinase MBK-1 contributes to lifespan extension in daf-2 mutant and germline-deficient Caenorhabditis elegans
- Extended Postnatal Brain Development in the Longest-Lived Rodent: Prolonged Maintenance of Neotenous Traits in the Naked Mole-Rat Brain
- Mechanisms regulating proteostasis are involved in sympatric speciation of the blind mole rat, Spalax galili
- From yeast to human: exploring the comparative biology of methionine restriction in extending eukaryotic life span.
- Cutting back on the essentials: Can manipulating intake of specific amino acids modulate health and lifespan?
Calico was founded by Arthur D. Levinson.
Google is super secretive about its anti-aging research. No one knows why.
What is Calico, the mysterious Google-owned company that has pledged to halt aging?
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- BiotechnologyBiotechnology can refer to the application of science and technology to living organisms or the use of living organisms, their parts, products or models thereof to solve a problem, produce knowledge or produce goods and services. Biotechnology may involve the alteration of living or non-living materials.