- The Pediatrics segment offers drops, oral rehydration solutions, and gut health tablets, as well as cultures that are used as an ingredient in infant formula.
- The Adult Health segment provides gut health tablets and oral health lozenges products, as well as cultures, which are used as an ingredient in a dairy product.
- The Other segment provides animal health products.
- The company offers its products in the areas of baby and child care, including infantile colic, constipation, regurgitation, functional abdominal pain, and diarrhea; gut health comprising diarrhea and constipation; gastrointestinal health consisting of Helicobacter pylori–the gastric ulcer bacterium; and oral health, including gingivitis and periodontitis, caries, and halitosis.
BioGaia operates through Paediatrics and Adult Health segments. The Pediatrics segment offers probiotic drops, oral rehydration solutions, and digestive health tablets, as well as cultures that are used as an ingredient in infant formula. The Adult Health segment provides digestive health tablets and oral health products, as well as cultures, which are used as an ingredient in a dairy product.
The company offers its products under the brand name of BioGaia through drug stores and pharmacies. BioGaia AB (public company) was founded in 1990 and is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden.
Research and patents
BioGaia owns several commercially important strains and a large number of different patents for commercial usage of Lactobacillus reuteri. BioGaia gut and immune health products contain L. reuteri Protectis (DSM 17938), one of the human L. reuteri strains. BioGaia Probiotics for oral health contain L. reuteri Prodentis, which is a blend of two L. reuteri strains DSM 17938 and ATCC PTA 5289. Products containing L. reuteri have been proven to be both effective and safe in several areas; infant colic, diarrhea prevention, and mitigation in children, eradication of H. pylori infection and reduction of side effects from standard H. pylori treatment, amelioration of gingivitis, and general illness prevention in children and adults. The BioGaia -B share is listed on the NASDAQ OMX Nordic Exchange.
The intellectual property of BioGaia includes 44 registered patents primarily in the 'Medical Or Veterinary Science; Hygiene' category. Additionally, BioGaia has registered 12 trademarks with the most popular class being 'Pharmaceutical, veterinary and sanitary products'.
BioGaia AB announced earnings results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2018.
- For the fourth quarter, the company announced sales were SEK 209.673 million compared to SEK 170.148 million a year ago.
- Operating income was SEK 75.108 million compared to SEK 61.889 million a year ago.
- Net income was SEK 57.048 million compared to SEK 48.352 million a year ago.
- Basic earnings per share were SEK 3.29 compared to SEK 2.79 a year ago.
- For the full year, sales were SEK 741.870 million compared to SEK 615.003 million a year ago.
- Operating income were SEK 277.359 million compared to SEK 232.991 million a year ago.
- Net income was SEK 214.890 million compared to SEK 180.564 million a year ago.
- Basic earnings per share were SEK 12.4 compared to SEK 10.42 a year ago.
Documentaries, videos and podcasts