The Basic Attention Token (BAT) platform is comprised of several components, including a self-serve ad platform (similar to Google AdWords) and a suite of attention-measurement algorithms and reward systems. Integration of BAT into an application involves integrating BAT Ads, a system that matches and displays ads to users based on locally stored data. BAT Ads's ad targeting is performed wholly on-device, obviating the need for third-party tracking.
In addition to providing ad revenue for publishers and application developers, BAT will share ad revenue with users.
Use of Ethereum-based token
Basic Attention Token's eponymous Ethereum-based utility token serves as the unit of account within the platform:
- Advertisers purchase advertising space and user attention on the platform using BAT tokens;
- Publishers receive user contributions and advertising revenue in the form of BAT tokens;
- Users will be paid in BAT for any ads they choose to view within the BAT network.
As a cryptocurrency, BAT tokens may be used to redeem rewards and services with participating merchants in the BAT ecosystem, or withdrawn from the platform and exchanged for other currencies.
BAT is a client-side ad technology. All ad matching, targeting and delivery occurs on the client's device. Since ad matching and delivery occurs client-side, no user data collection or tracking is required.
- An advertiser launches an ad campaign on the self-serve ad platform, akin to Google Adwords. Payment is conducted in BAT tokens.
- The ad campaign (its description, format, links, creatives, duration and targeted demographics, etc.) is added to an ad catalog.
- The ad catalog is downloaded into a BAT-enabled application (such as the Brave browser).
- The app (Brave browser) uses local machine learning algorithms to match the user's browsing history and behavior with the contents of the ad catalog.
- Once a match is made, the application delivers the targeted ad to the user.
- If the user engages with the advertisement, they are rewarded a percentage of the gross ad spend for that advertisement.
Development with Brave
Basic Attention Token is developed alongside the Brave web browser by Brave Software. Brave will be the first application to integrate the BAT platform, allowing users to opt into ads in exchange for BAT tokens.
Developers will be able to integrate BAT into their applications using a to-be-released BAT source development kit (SDK). Integrating BAT into a mobile application will be akin to integrating Google's AdMob, and will allow developers to monetize their applications by displaying advertisements to users.
Founder & CEO
Daniel González Sánchez
Enrique Enciso De León
Luz Yenira Tlacuilo Parra
Senior Software Engineer
Pedro Eduardo Sanchez Ledesma Gutierrez
Rafael Sanchez Varela
Chief Security Officer
Basic Attention Token White paper
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
Brave Software Inc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Brave web browser, Basic Attention Token
- CryptocurrencyA cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange using cryptography to secure the transactions and to control the creation of additional units of the currency. Cryptocurrencies are a subset of alternative currencies, or specifically of digital currencies.
- BlockchainA blockchain is an append-only digital ledger storing a set of time-ordered transactions grouped in blocks that are linked together using cryptographic hashes.
- BitcoinBitcoin is a cryptocurrency and a digital payment system invented by an unknown programmer, or a group of programmers, under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. It was released as open-source software in 2009.
- UrbitUrbit is a stack that allows for a decentralized filesystem address space created by startup Tlon.
- EthereumEthereum is an open-source, public, distributed blockchain computing platform featuring smart contract (scripting) functionality, which facilitates online contractual agreements.
- CoinListCoinlist is a financial services platform for digital assets that is headquartered in San Francisco, California and was founded in 2017 by Andy Bromberg, Brian Tubergen, Graham Jenkin, Joshua Slayton, Kendrick Nguyen, and Paul Menchov.
- Initial Coin Offering (ICO)An initial coin offering (ICO) is a means of crowdfunding the release of a new cryptocurrency.
- Show More