Bashkir State Medical University, established in 1932, is one of the leading medical universities in the Russian Federation and the center of medical and pharmaceutical sciences of the Republic of Bashkortostan.
At first, there was only one faculty – Faculty of General Medicine. In 1961 Faculty of Pediatrics was created, in 1970 – Faculty of Preventive Medicine (later renamed to Faculty of Preventive Medicine and Microbiology), in 1976 – Faculty of Dentistry, in 1981 – Faculty of Pharmacy.
In 2010 Ufa Medical College became a part of BSMU.
Nowadays BSMU includes five faculties:
- General Medicine - Faculty of General Medicine exists since 1932, when Bashkir State Medical Institute was created. It is the largest unit of the BSMU. Since the establishment of the Faculty about 16000 physicians have graduated from it. Faculty comprises 25 departments. Students can choose from about 50 specialties, such as Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Oncology, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Cardiology, Traumatology, Psychiatry, Urology etc.
- Dentistry - Established in 1976, Faculty of Dentistry has trained more than 3 700 dentists in 40 years. Renowned doctors and scientists in the field dentistry teach and carry out research within the Faculty. Scientists are constantly developing new methods of diagnostics, treatment and prophylaxis of dental diseases. They take part in national and international conferences and are members of prominent professional dental unions, such as “Russian dental association” “Bashkir Association of Dentists”, “Association of pediatric dentists”, “Association of dental education”. Faculty does research in areas from prognosis, diagnostics, and conventional treatment options to innovative techniques of maxillofacial surgery and bone grafting. Faculty comprises 9 departments and trains students for work as orthodontists, prosthodontists, maxillofacial surgeons, dental surgeons, pediatric dentists.
- Pediatrics - Established in 1961, Faculty of Pediatrics has since that time trained about 7200 pediatricians. Currently 17 departments exist within the Faculty. Graduates work as pediatric surgeons, oncologists, gynacologists, ophtalmologists, etc. BSMU also offers range of new specialties such as Neonatology, Pediatric Haematology, Gastroenterology, Pulmonology, Pediatric Infection Diseases, etc.
- Pharmacy - Chair of the Department of Pharmacognosy with the Course in Botany and the Basics of Herbal Medicine
- Preventive Medicine - Faculty of Preventive Medicine and Microbiology trains specialists for the healthcare system and bachelors in microbiology. It has 7 departments (Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Hygiene and Professional Diseases, Infectious Disease, General Hygiene, Epidemiology, Fundamental and Applied Microbiology).
- UniversityNAICS industry 6113 - establishments primarily engaged in furnishing academic courses and granting degrees at baccalaureate or graduate levels.
- EducationNAICS industry sector 61 - establishments that provide instruction and training in a wide variety of subjects. This instruction and training is provided by specialized establishments, such as schools, colleges, universities, and training centers.