Astranis is a satellite communications company that plans to launch satellites into geostationary orbit, farther from the earth, and in a location that will remain fixed. Astranis' goal is to put up satellites that are capable of providing immediate connectivity to broadband internet access to an estimated 4 billion people.
Astranis plans to send one satellite at a time to slots in geostationary orbit, 22,000 miles high, where each satellite can beam data up and down on a steady basis. Astranis plans to have its first operational satellite sent to geostationary Earth orbit in 2019.
Co-founder and CEO
Why We're Excited About Alaska - John Gedmark - Medium
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Low Earth orbitOrbit around earth with an altitude between 160 kilometers (99 mi) and 2,000 kilometers (1,200 mi)
- SpaceXSpace Exploration Technologies Corporation, better known as SpaceX, is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company headquartered in Hawthorne, California.
- Geostationary orbitCircular orbit above the earth's equator and following the direction of the earth's rotation
- SpaceflightEssentially an extreme form of ballistic flight,use of space technology to achieve the flight of spacecraft into and through outer space, used in space exploration, and also in commercial activities like space tourism and satellite telecommunications
- OneWebGlobal communications company
- Show More