Welcome! We are committed to helping our community of users build the world’s best canonical source of human knowledge under free and open license terms. We aim to provide superior accessibility to this knowledge source by providing users and developers with the best tools available to leverage the work done by our community, subject to these Terms of Service. If we got something wrong, please get in touch at email@example.com
1. Acceptance of these Terms
These Terms of Service are entered into by and between you and Golden Recursion Inc. (the "Company", "we" or "us"). The following terms and conditions (these "Terms") govern your access to and use of this website (this "Website") and any content, functionality (including APIs) and services offered on or through this Website (collectively, our "Service").
Our Service is offered and available to users who are 13 years of age or older. By using our Service, you represent and warrant that you meet this eligibility requirement. If you do not meet this requirement, you must not access or use our Service.
2. Changes to these Terms
We may revise and update these Terms from time to time in our sole discretion. All changes are effective immediately when we post them, and apply to all access to and use of our Service thereafter.
Your continued use of our Service following the posting of revised Terms means that you accept and agree to the changes. You are expected to check this page from time to time so you are aware of any changes.
3. Accessing our Service and Account Security
It is our goal to maintain uninterrupted access to the Service. However, from from time to time it may be necessary to restrict access to some parts of our Service, or the entire Service, to users, including registered users.
You are responsible for the security and safeguarding of your
password. We encourage the use of a "strong" password to secure your
account. Golden will not be liable for any loss or damage arising
from failure to maintain the security of user passwords.
4. License Terms for User-Generated Content
a. Content Contributors
Golden is striving to create the best platform for mapping knowledge. This mission relies on the engagement and excitement of the community of users who create and curate the content ("User-Generated Content") on the site. All User-Generated Content must comply with the licensing and other requirements of this Section 4 as well as the Content Standards of Section 7.
To promote free and open knowledge sharing, any User-Generated Content you submit via our service ("Your Content") to which you hold the copyright you agree to license under CC BY-SA 4.0: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)
In granting a license to Your Content under CC BY-SA 4.0 ("CC BY-SA"), you acknowledge that you are granting permission to the general public to use and distribute Your Content, and create derivative works of Your Content, subject to the attribution and other requirements described in Subsection (b) below. This license grant is worldwide, royalty-free, non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, and irrevocable, per the CC BY-SA license terms.
We also welcome content that is in the public domain.
You represent and warrant that:
- You own or control all rights in and to Your Content, and you have the right to grant the Creative Commons license cited above (other than for content you submit which is in the public domain).
- If Your Content is under a creative commons license compatible with CC BY-SA, you have given proper attribution to the original source.
- If Your Content is in the public domain, such content is in fact not subject to any protection under intellectual property laws.
- All of Your Content does and will comply with these Terms, including the Content Standards in Section 7 below.
You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for Your Content, and you, not the Company, have full responsibility for such content, including its legality. For your own benefit please take caution not to contribute content that could cause civil or criminal liability for yourself. Unfortunately, Golden cannot provide any legal protection or immunity for User-Generated Content posted by any user of the Service.
We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any User-Generated Content posted by you or any other user of our Service.
b. Content Re-use
You are free to use User-Generated Content available on this Website, provided you comply with the license terms of CC BY-SA (other than content in the public domain). The CC BY-SA requirements include:
- Attribution. If you share User-Generated Content, you must retain (if provided along with the User-Generated Content) a human and machine readable link to the Golden page containing the User-Generated Content.
- ShareAlike. You are free to alter, arrange, transform, or otherwise modify User-Generated Content under the CC BY-SA license terms. But if you share such modified content with others, you must (i) license such modified content under the same CC BY-SA license terms, (ii) include a link to or the text of such license terms, and (iii) clearly indicate the owner of the original content and that the original content has been modified.
5. Reliance on Information Posted
You understand and agree that our Users, and not the Company, generally generate the User-Generated Content. The User-Generated Content presented on or through our Service is made available solely for general information purposes. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any User-Generated Content or any other information made available via our Service and it is not a certified or definitive source to be relied upon for medical, legal, financial, or other critical purposes. Any reliance you place on User-Generated Content or any other information made available via our Service is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on any such content by you or any other visitor to the Website or user of our Service, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
All statements and/or opinions expressed in User-Generated Content, and all responses to and comments on User-Generated Content, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity providing those materials. These materials do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Company. We are not responsible, or liable to you or any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties.
6. Our Intellectual Property Rights
As discussed under Section 4 (User-Generated Content), the content available on this Website is provided under a free license with broad permissions to the general public to re-distribute and re-use. However, the Company’s platform for making such content available (the "Platform") is owned by the Company and its licensors and is protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. The Platform includes the entire contents, features and functionality of this Website and our Services, including but not limited to all information, software, source code, relational tables, social graphs, social profiles, text, displays, images, video and audio, as well as the design, selection and arrangement thereof, excluding only the User-Generated Content.
These Terms govern your right to use the Platform. You may use the Platform for your personal, non-commercial use only. You must not reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works of, publicly display, republish, download, store or transmit any aspect or element of the Platform.
If you access or use the Platform in breach of these Terms, your right to use our Service will cease immediately. No right, title or interest in or to the Platform is transferred to you, and all rights not expressly granted are reserved by the Company. Any use of the Platform not expressly permitted by these Terms is a breach of these Terms and may also violate copyright, trademark and other laws.
To protect against fraud and impersonation, the Company name and logo and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans are trademarks of the Company or its affiliates or licensors. You must not use such marks without the prior written permission of the Company. All other names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans on this Website are the trademarks of their respective owners.
7. Content Standards and User Conduct
These content standards apply to any and all User-Generated Content. User-Generated Content must in its entirety comply with all applicable federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, User-Generated Content must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Harass, libel, or cause harm to living individuals. Take additional caution in creating pages about living individuals as the responsibility and burden of proof on accuracy of information is with the individual adding the content. Poorly cited or inaccurate information about living individuals should be removed immediately.
- Be intended to deceive any person or be fraudulent.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act.
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
- Be intentionally or knowingly libelous or defamatory
8. Prohibited Uses
You may use our Service only for lawful purposes and in accordance with these Terms. You agree not to use our Service:
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local or international law or regulation (including, without limitation, any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the US or other countries).
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or
promotional material, including any "junk mail", "chain letter"
or "spam" or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate the Company, a Company employee, another user or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using email addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing).
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits
anyone's use or enjoyment of our Service, or which, as
determined by us, may harm the Company or users of our Service
or expose them to liability.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Use our Service in any manner that could disable, overburden,
damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party's
use of our Service, including their ability to engage in real
time activities through our Service.
- Use any robot, spider or other automatic device, process or means to access our Service for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any of the material on our Service.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on our Service or for any other unauthorized purpose without our prior written consent.
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of our Service.
- Introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of our Service, the server on which our Service is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to our Service.
- Attack our Service via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of our Service.
- Sell, license, or commercially distribute the Service or Content to third parties
- Commercially provide any databases, interfaces, or software programs comprising the Service or Content.
- Use the Service, commercially, in any manner that could cause the Service to: (i) be a substitute for the Service by a third party, (ii) affect the Company’s ability to realize revenue in connection with the Service, or (iii) compete with the Company’s business.
- If you wish to engage us commercially please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Monitoring and Enforcement; Termination
The community plays an important role in maintaining the content standards of the site. However, rare cases may occur in which an individual repeatedly causes harm to the Service, as outlined above, which the community is unable to resolve. We reserve the right, but have no obligation to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User-Generated Content for any or no reason in our sole discretion.
- Take any action with respect to any User-Generated Content that we deem necessary or appropriate in our sole discretion, including if we believe that such User-Generated Content violates these Terms, including the Content Standards, infringes any intellectual property right or other right of any person or entity, threatens the personal safety of users of our Service or the public or could create liability for the Company.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of our Service.
- Terminate or suspend your access to all or part of our Service for any or no reason, including without limitation, any violation of these Terms.
Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting content on or through our Service. You waive and hold harmless the company and its affiliates, licensees and service providers from any claims resulting from any action taken by the company during or as a result of its investigations and from any actions taken as a consequence of investigations by either the company or law enforcement authorities.
However, although we have the rights described above, we do not undertake to review User-Generated Content before it is posted on the Website, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this section and assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party.
10. Copyright Infringement and DMCA requests
Reporting Claims of Copyright Infringement
We respect the intellectual property rights of others, and expect users to as well. Keeping Golden free of copyrighted material allows content to be re-used without fear of violating intellectual property rights. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law. It is our policy in appropriate circumstances to disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who are repeat infringers. If you believe any materials accessible on or from this site (the "Website"
) infringe your copyright, please send us a notice of copyright infringement via email at email@example.com
or by submitting written notification in accordance with the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512) ("DMCA"
), the written notice (the "DMCA Notice"
) must include substantially the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature.
- Identification of the copyrighted work you believe to have been infringed or, if the claim involves multiple works on the Website, a representative list of such works.
- Identification of the material you believe to be infringing in a sufficiently precise manner to allow us to locate that material.
- Adequate information by which we can contact you (including your name, postal address, telephone number, and, if available, email address).
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the written notice is accurate.
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Our designated copyright agent to receive DMCA Notices is (email is preferred):
- Golden Recursion Inc.
- 155 Montgomery St. Ste. 700
- San Francisco, CA 94104
- Phone: 415-779-4053
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you fail to comply with all of the requirements of Section 512(c)(3) of the DMCA, your DMCA Notice may not be effective. In addition, you may also make a request directly to our user community to remove the copyrighted material, which may handle the issue faster than required by DMCA.
If you believe that material you posted on the Website was removed or access to it was disabled by mistake or misidentification, you may file a counter-notification with us (a "Counter-Notice") by submitting written notification to our copyright agent designated above. Pursuant to the DMCA, the Counter-Notice must include substantially the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature.
- An identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access disabled.
- Adequate information by which we can contact you (including your name, postal address, telephone number, and, if available, email address).
- A statement under penalty of perjury by you that you have a good faith belief that the material identified above was removed or disabled as a result of a mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
- A statement that you will consent to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your address is located (or if you reside outside the United States for any judicial district in which the Website may be found) and that you will accept service from the person (or an agent of that person) who provided the Website with the complaint at issue.
The DMCA allows us to restore the removed content if the party filing the original DMCA Notice does not file a court action against you within ten business days of receiving the copy of your Counter-Notice.
11. Changes to our Service
We may update our Service from time to time, but neither our Service nor its content is necessarily complete or up-to-date. Any of the material available via our Service may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.
12. Links from this Website
If this Website contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your convenience only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to this Website, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites.
We aim to transparently and appropriately attribute any content imported directly from Wikipedia through correct linking and through correct licensing following Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike
License as per Wikipedia terms and conditions. If you see any content that isn’t appropriately attributed please let us know. Contributors should also feel empowered to directly add correct attribution where appropriate.
13. Disclaimer of Warranties
You understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from the internet or the Website will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for anti-virus protection and accuracy of data input and output, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data. We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of the website or any services or items obtained through the website or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it.
YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS
OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE WEBSITE, ITS
CONTENT AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE ARE
PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER THE
COMPANY NOR ANY PERSON ASSOCIATED WITH THE COMPANY MAKES ANY
WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPLETENESS,
SECURITY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY OR AVAILABILITY OF THE
WEBSITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR
ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH THE COMPANY REPRESENTS OR WARRANTS THAT THE
WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE
WEBSITE WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED,
THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT OUR SITE OR THE SERVER THAT
MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS
OR THAT THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE
WEBSITE WILL OTHERWISE MEET YOUR NEEDS OR EXPECTATIONS.
THE COMPANY HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
14. Limitation on Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL THE COMPANY, ITS AFFILIATES OR THEIR LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS OR DIRECTORS BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE WEBSITE, ANY WEBSITES LINKED TO IT, ANY CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Company, its
affiliates, licensors and service providers, and its and their
respective officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents,
licensors, suppliers, successors and assigns from and against any
claims, liabilities, damages, judgments, awards, losses, costs,
expenses or fees (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising out
of or relating to your violation of these Terms or your use of our
Service, including, but not limited to, any of Your Content which is
provided in violation of these Terms, any use of the Website's
content, services and products other than as expressly authorized in
these Terms or your use of any information, data or content obtained
from our Service, including but not limited to User-Generated
16. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
All matters relating to our Service and these Terms and any dispute or claim arising therefrom or related thereto (in each case, including non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of California without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction).
Any legal suit, action or proceeding arising out of, or related to, these Terms or our Service shall be instituted exclusively in the state and federal courts located in San Francisco, California. You waive any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction over you by such courts and to venue in such courts.
At Company's sole discretion, it may require you to submit any
disputes arising from our Service, including disputes arising from
or concerning the interpretation, violation, invalidity,
non-performance or termination of these Terms, to final and binding
arbitration under the Rules of Arbitration of the American
Arbitration Association applying California law.
18. Limitation on Time to File Claims
ANY CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OR OUR SERVICE MUST BE COMMENCED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES; OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
19. Waiver and Severability
No waiver by the Company of any term or condition set forth in these Terms shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or condition or a waiver of any other term or condition, and any failure of the Company to assert a right or provision under these Terms shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
If any provision of these Terms is held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be eliminated or limited to the minimum extent such that the remaining provisions of the Terms will continue in full force and effect.
20. Entire Agreement
21. Your Comments and Concerns
You made it! The terms of service agreements between users and companies should be an open and honest dialogue for the benefit of both parties. The first step towards that goal is an informed and engaged community. To give feedback or comments relating our Services please contact us at email@example.com